Old 14-01-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default allotments

writes
On 14 Jan, 09:14, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:

These days, more people are growing organically, but that's
a trend, not a tradition.

I really can't let you say this Linz. For thousands of years we have
eaten our food grown entirely organically. Chemicals were introduced
in the 50s. Please, think about what you are saying.

Chemical fertilisers were introduced before the 50s.

Linz is correct in saying that allotments were not set up in order to
encourage people to grow organically. You personally may feel that the
point of having an allotment is to grow food organically, but that is
not the fundamental purpose of allotments, eg the Allotment Act 1922:
defines the term ‘allotment garden’ as
“an allotment not exceeding forty rods (1,012 square meters) in extent
which is wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production
of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family”
--
Kay