Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Janet

Default Chooks in small, multi-species orchard

Our chooks free range around our citrus orchard. Every day I rake the mulch
around the trees and the girls stand there waiting(and sometimes they don't
even wait) to fling mulch everywhere. These are silkies who are supposedly
less destructive than regular long legged chooks. We have started
encircling the trees with scrap metal from an old above ground pool, cut to
about 30 cms high. Not a pretty look but at least the roots don't get
exposed by cheerful foraging chooks. The eggs are delicious however.
PS The girls' night quarters and pen is covered with birdwire with a shade
cloth roof), Í got fed up with lifting the nesting boxes doors and finding
lumpy carpet pythons snoozing. They could squeeze through the chicken wire
to get in but couldn't get out after dinner.

Janet