Old 15-01-2008, 11:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default companion planting - let's have it out!

In article ,
Terryc wrote:

Yes. Generally there is very little useful information. The few books we
have tend to not mention many of the veges we grow,

Yep, or they are for different soils and climates.

We are currently trying the corn, beans and squash trilogy. Well, we
will if I can get the beans to actually come up.

It started with the corn. I ended up putting in about four lots of
planting before half the 12x12 block took and grew.

I've tried planting beans, but only 5 out of 60 shot and black birds ate
3 of them.

I've never seen that work. The squash is too rampant here. However, both Dad
and I have had good results by combining corn and cucumber plants (Sydney clay
belt).

Meanwhile, the whole patch is being invaded by a self sown pumpkin(jap?)
from another patch. sigh. I woundn't feel so bad, but the only flowers
are male, Unless they are different to zucchini, which has been a total
waste of space so far as it all need hand pollination.

Don't worry, the makle flowers always seem to arrive first on pumpkin vines.
You should see the female flowers shortly.

Ok well, hope the water tank is full as everything is going to need
watering this evening afterthe scorcher that today has been.

In summary, we just tend to try everything with everything and see what
happens. In reality swmbo always produces too many seedlings that get
shoe horned in everywhere.

That's the way I garden, too. I try to be a bit more organised, but Things
Happen!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/