Old 15-01-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat Gardiner Pat Gardiner is offline

Default Ideas please - north facing wall

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"Rhiannon_s" wrote in message

"Pat Gardiner" wrote in message
After nearly ten years, I'm planting the last wall in the walled
garden.

You can see the garden on
http://www.go-self-sufficient.com/photowalledg.htm

You can see the north wall at the far right, the inner side has the
peaches
apricots, and sweet cherries.

The outer north facing surface has been cleared of vegetation and I
have
planted three damsons (that I know do well on a north wall) and I have
two
more spaces.

My problem is that makes five different damsons and two pairs Morellos
and
Nabelas already.

It there another sharp cherry that would do OK on this wall? Is there
any
other fruit that might thrive? I'm stumpted.

Japanese Quinces might do ok there. I've seen them growing in similar
and
they make good jam.

Thanks for that. I have a couple of Serbian quinces, but once long ago,
we
did have Japanese quinces under the south facing windows - and very nice
they were too. Pretty flowers and very flavoursome fruit. That was in a
sun
trap and on "sandlings" soil.

I checked Japanese quinces and they seem to indicate that full sun is
needed
and that they are between 1/3 metres tall. The wall is about 4M and, will
of
course, be in full shade.

On the basis that you will never know if you don't try, unless anyone has
any more ideas....

If you planted two and depending on what part of the country your wall is
in then Akebia quinata or Akebia trifolia will both grow and fruit on a
north wall but fruit production seems to require hand pollination or is
unreliable in the UK. similarly Holboella latifolia (here I found the
fruit very attractive to look at but a bit insipid to taste)
You may also consider Lapageria rosea although again you would need two
genetically different plants and although the goosberry sized fruits are
lovely they contain around 100 seeds which T&M can charge more than a
pound per seed for, which may put you off eating them!

I'm in East Anglia on clay with a good admixture of lime. So, I would have
to change the soil for Lapageria rosea and it seems that although they would
like a sheltered wall, north sounds a bit dodgy. But you have attracted my
interest. I'm reorganising my tunnels with raised beds and could fill one
with ericacious soil, for this plus some extra blueberries and cranberries.
Which reminds me, the dog pulled out 20 brand new cranberry plants last
year. I'm going to plan some of last years berries and hope for some plants.

Seeds are dear. I get mad over staples like melons and cucumbers being so
expensive.

Akebia quinata or Akebia trifolia both seem to be a bit tender for the site
and is the taste that good?

Thanks anyway. I'm keeping working on this. There must be something. Keep
the ideas coming!

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner