Old 15-01-2008, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default allotments

On 15 Jan, 10:53, "PK" wrote:

1892The first synthetic pesticide, potassium dinitro-2-cresylate, marketed
in Germany.

Wow! I had said 1889 when in fact it was 1892. Close! (I had a good
teacher you see - an American geologist teaching for the Royal Society
of Horticulture). Also I do not count a concoction of urine, cow dung
and vinegar chemicals, nor do I count using the plant Rue to be a
chemical. And sulphur was used by the Egyptians in natural forms, more
or less, under the form of burnt wood and volcano rocks that they
burn, they did not produce the SO2 (acid) that we have today. So like
you've found on the internet, the first synthetic pesticide was made
in 1892, I said 1889 to be the beginning of chemicals in gardening
with the grinding they did abroad, notably in France. And I've
explained why we thought the use of chemicals were after the war.

I said I was wrong - it's not delusion, nor is it gibberish. Please
don't google yet again another pedantic rposible poke at me with this.
I'm not sure where you're going with it, and I'm don't want to
follow.