Old 15-01-2008, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
O My Garden[_2_] O My Garden[_2_] is offline

Default Care tips for your orchid

Orchid is a wonderful and mysterious plant for me. Its flower is more
beautiful and charming than other flower. However, you must take care
of it very carefully such as temperature, watering, fertilizer,
humidity, light. Otherwise your orchid will not grow up or die
finally.

So I summarize some advises to take of the orchid as for your guide.

WATERING YOUR ORCHID

Always water early in the day so that your orchids dry out by
nighttime. The proper frequency of watering will depend on the
climatic conditions where you live. In general, water once a week
during the winter and twice a week when the weather turns warm and
dry. The size of your orchid container also helps determine how often
you need to water, regardless of climate conditions. Typically, a 6-
inch pot needs water every 7 days and a 4-inch pot needs water every 5
to 6 days.

The type of potting medium being used can also affect your plant's
water requirements. Bark has a tendency to dry out more rapidly than
sphagnum moss, for instance. It is important to remember, however,
that even when the surface of your pot is dry, the root area may
remain moist. Poke your finger or a regular wooden pencil an inch into
the pot; if it feels moist to the touch or if the pencil looks moist,
do not add additional water. The potting medium should always be damp,
but not soggy.

The quality of water used, whether for spraying or watering, is of
great importance. Since tap water has often been chemically treated,
generally with chlorine, it should be used with caution. The best
water for orchids is undoubtedly rainwater. Rainwater, as it passes
through the air, dissolves and absorbs many substances such as dust,
pollen and other organic matter.

THINGS TO CONSIDER: The temperature of the water is also important. If
the water temperature and the surrounding air temperature are equal,
no harm will result, and slight differences either way can be
tolerated by healthy plants. Fatal or long-term damage, not easily
discernible at first, can result from using water that is too cold.

Please click the link to read article about Light, Humidity, Feeding
and Tempature : http://www.worldofflower.net/worldofflower.net/Care
tips for your orchid.htm