Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Marshall Wilkinson

Default Chooks in small, multi-species orchard

Fran Higham
well as a few other fruit trees. Can anyone foresee any problems with
this?

Nope, I run my chooks an orchard of about a quarter of an acre. Just make
sure it is fox proof. I've lost a lot of chooks and have spent a lot of
time and money on fixing up what was an abortion of a fence done by a
supposed expert fencer. Ha!

What sort of mesh do you recommend - we have foxes here.

The fruit trees are 2 - 3 m tall and we plan to cover the top but are

still
working on a design. If we use hardwood posts what should the spacing be

and
is chicken wire the best thing to use over the top/roof of the

orchard/chook
yard?

Gosh you must be very rich :-)) You don't need to put a top on the whole
orchard,

Netting the top of the orchard would keep the birds from harvesting our
fruit, unless we net individual plants.

Thanks Fran,
Marsh.