Old 16-01-2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default How often should I change potting medium?

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
The problem I have with the bucket method is that you can transfer
pathogens from one plant to the next. If at all possible, flush with a
hose, faucet or wand.

My thoughts are disease will travel in any case. On our hands, on our
clothes and shoes, insects can pass viral and bacterial disease from plant
to plant. We can move our plants around and unknowingly put a clean pot
where a diseased plant sat the day before. To prevent contamination we would
need to wear latex gloves and sterilize them between plants. Each plant
would have a spot and never be moved from it. We would then still have bugs
and insects to contend with. I've already found frogs on my plants when
spending the summer outdoors. Cross contamination is very difficult to
prevent.

I once worked in a hospital and known about contamination.