Old 15-01-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default Growing lights in the greenhouse

In message , Chris Hogg
wrote
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:49:49 -0000, "Anthony"
wrote:

Hi
Can anyone tell me what lights/bulbs are used in the greehouse to extend the
growing hours for seeds. I have done a 'Google' and there are a great many
different bulbs out there, and they seem to be mainly for growing plants for
'your own personal use'!!!
I would like to extend the growing hours for my veg seeds so they are well
established possibly for showing this year, fingers crossed.
TIA
Anthony

You need powerful lights. Most domestic stuff isn't up to it. See
http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSi...W_GROLIGHT.htm

Wouldn't it depend on the distance between the plant and the light.? In
a commercial greenhouse you may use a powerful light to illuminate a
large area. In a small greenhouse, and possible for a smaller area,
couldn't a compromise be made with a lower power bulb placed closer to
the plants?

You can grow quite a lot of algae in a fish tank illuminated with only
40W of strip lights
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com