Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Tish

Default Attracting Butterflies

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:57:39 +1030, "silvasurfa"
wrote:

"Bushy" wrote in message
Oleanders have a butterfly that only breeds on them. Although they are
poison to eat the shrub, as a child growing up I was fascinated with the
butterflies and watching their life cycle.

Should be available at most nurseries.

Hope this helps,
Peter

But try not to plant it in your backyard, because it makes the place bloody
difficult to sell to anyone with small kids. Whilst that isn't a real
problem at the moment, should the real estate market become less buoyant it
could be a problem. Frontyard should be OK though.

I found that grapevines were always good for attracting those black and
white caterpillars. Not sure which butterfly they are the larva of.

Oddly enough, they are the larvae of the vine moth - an attractive
black, white and red day-flying moth. Vine moths can become pests in
vine growing areas, but for most of us they don't cause a problem.

I've found that buddlea (however it is spelled) is good, as well as
lavendar (also great for bees), leptospermums and melaleucas.

HTH
Tish