Old 16-01-2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default How often should I change potting medium?

I know that contamination is hard to prevent. That doesn't mean I won't try
my best to keep disease from spreading. I do, in fact, wear latex gloves
when potting, and I change them frequently. If I don't change a pair I'll
wash my hands with the gloves on, in a bleach or TSP solution. They are much
less costly than losing a favorite plant or worse, several. We keep a bunch
of sets of cutting tools so each can sit and sterilize for a while before
being used again.

I've seen how fast disease can move through an orchid collection even when
precautions are taken. I'm not about to add to the danger. But, that's me.
To each his own.

Diana
"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
The problem I have with the bucket method is that you can transfer
pathogens from one plant to the next. If at all possible, flush with a
hose, faucet or wand.

My thoughts are disease will travel in any case. On our hands, on our
clothes and shoes, insects can pass viral and bacterial disease from plant
to plant. We can move our plants around and unknowingly put a clean pot
where a diseased plant sat the day before. To prevent contamination we
would need to wear latex gloves and sterilize them between plants. Each
plant would have a spot and never be moved from it. We would then still
have bugs and insects to contend with. I've already found frogs on my
plants when spending the summer outdoors. Cross contamination is very
difficult to prevent.

I once worked in a hospital and known about contamination.