Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
John Savage

Default Attracting Butterflies

Linda writes:
Buddleas, Buddleas and more Buddleas. It is fascinating to see them,

You have come up with three good suggestions there Linda.

Buddleas come in various colours apart from the common mauve, I have also
seen white, yellow, and black, the latter being such a dark purple as to
be essentially black. But only the common mauve has the overpowering scent,
the others seem bland in comparison. I walk past a white buddlea most days,
it's in flower at the moment, yet I can't recall ever seeing a butterfly
around it. So anyone desiring to attract the monarch butterfly had better
plant the common mauve buddlea, IMO. They do wilt badly in hot weather,
but rally overnight and seem none the worse for it.

If anyone's experience with the scent of coloured buddleas differs from
mine please elaborate, as I don't wish to generalise based on my limited
sample.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")