Old 16-01-2008, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Growing lights in the greenhouse

Alan wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
wrote
Alan wrote:

Quite correct. If you wanted to cook seedlings, then a powerful
lamp (250w) placed close to them will do it nicely. This Gro-lux
lamp is the sort of thing you should be looking at:
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=3704

Are these tubes any better than the daylight or tri-phosphor tubes
sold elsewhere at a fifth of that price?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...6DAYLIGHT.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAFLT18.html

I doubt it. Probably a minor difference in spectrum, but nothing
significant (except the price).

Referring back to my fish tank example, 40W of special expensive
'aquarium' tubes produce the same amount of algae as £4 of
ordinary white tubes.

But are the algae any greener? ;-)

--
Jeff