Old 17-01-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Campa-Man Campa-Man is offline

Default Bamboo leaves turning black

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:37:03 -0000, "Campa-Man"
wrote:

"Campa-Man" wrote in message news:...
Hi

Have a Black (Nigeria whatever)Bamboo for two years now, the first year
it
lost two of its three canes as I think it got waterlogged, drilled more
drainage in the half barrel that its in and the other two canes lost and
replaced there leaves as they are supposed to.

However I have noticed now that the tips of all the leaves are turning
black, and am worried that I am loosing the complete plant.

Any ideas?

My bamboo, phyllostachys nigra, went black and flowered last year. I
cut it all down to the ground and anticipated that that was the end of
it.
Then it sent out a lot of new shoots which looked healthy.
Having read your post I have looked at it today and all the leaves are
black.
Incidentally, last summer I saw clumps of it black and flowering in 3
public gardens.
It is said that once they flower they die, which is what I thought was
happening to mine. Time will tell.

Pam in Bristol

Hopefully I will get some new shoots this year.