Old 17-01-2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Disease Spread (was changing potting medium)

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Manelli Family wrote:

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
"Manelli Family" wrote in message
[snip]
To prevent contamination we would need to wear latex gloves and
sterilize them between plants.

You *don't*? I do. Or I wash and bleach my hands between plants, being
sure to get under the nails.

No I don't and I never did. You also have to sterilize the pan between
each plant. You must have a lot of free time. How many plants do you
have?

I stopped counting at 700, so there are more than that in my collection.

And you soak them all one at a time, washing disinfecting your hands and
the soaking pan between each plant? I can only assume you have hired
help. ;o)

No I don't 'soak' my plants at all... I water them. And as I water I go
over my plants, and if I find bugs I pick them off, treat with the
appropriate pesticide, and wash my hands before I go on to another plant so
I don't spread it to the next plant. When I repot I do as I said abvove,
newspapers, bleach etc. All by myself. Manelli, if you want to soak your
plants go ahead. But I reserve the right to say I told you so.

K Barrett.