Old 17-01-2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Floating water plants sent state lines

In article ,
Hal wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:38:00 CST, Kurt
wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?
Any thoughts on this?

Yes: http://www.azda.gov/PSD/quarantine5.htm
Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms – Floating water hyacinth,

Google is my friend. You may Google your/any state and water hyacinth
and see what restrictions, if any your state may have on water
hyacinths. You may also find what you are looking for at:
http://tinyurl.com/yw4fn8

Most ponders can still buy and have water hyacinths shipped to them.
It is an amazing plant with rapid growth, but not a magic bullet for
everyone. There are other plants that work well in ponds.

Interesting that it's also a plant that dies out in the colder climes.