Old 17-01-2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chris Barnes Chris Barnes is offline

Default "planting" duckweed

Ok, I know this is exactly the opposite of what most people want to do.
There is a pond on a ranch I duck hunt on that is fairly large - it's
a dammed up creek creating a "teardrop shaped" pond that is about 180
yards x 50 yards (widest) x 25' deep.

Ducks occasionally visit the pond, but if it had something there for
them to eat (like duckweed), I suspect it would draw them in droves.

Q1: how hard is it to transplant duck weed and get it to "take hold" in
a pond this size? Would I need a 55 gal barrel of the stuff, or just a
5 gal bucket?

Q2: if duckweed were introduced to this pond, would it completely take
over this pond the way it does small "cow tanks"? This is NOT
something we would want. Basically, we would want enough that it would
provide a reliable food source - but not so much that it would choke out
everything else - there are lily pads & quite a few fish (catfish, bass,
& bream) stocked in the pond.

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes