Old 17-01-2008, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default "planting" duckweed

Q1: how hard is it to transplant duck weed and get it to "take hold" in a
pond this size? Would I need a 55 gal barrel of the stuff, or just a 5
gal bucket?

Q2: if duckweed were introduced to this pond, would it completely take
over this pond the way it does small "cow tanks"? This is NOT something
we would want. Basically, we would want enough that it would provide a
reliable food source - but not so much that it would choke out everything
else - there are lily pads & quite a few fish (catfish, bass, & bream)
stocked in the pond.

Hi Chris - my experience with duckweed is that I can't keep it - my GF &
Koi eat it like candy - no problem with it "taking over", but maybe that's
because I'm in SW Ont and it may be different in your area - I can put in
half a 5 gal bucket and it will be gone within 2 - 3 days ( ~ 45 fish) -
Also it might be dependent on what else your ducks (or fish) have to feed
on as to how well it will thrive in your climate
Maybe someone else in your area can answer your question better

Gale :~)