Old 18-01-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default More weather.........

On 9 Jan, 23:25, Sacha wrote:
High winds again tonight for the third night in a row.

Our local paper is full of pictures of "flooding" - streams spreading
across fields and the river across water meadows at Stamford, for
example.
http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/new...ded.3686664.jp

This is no more than we are used to. I can recall it happening every
winter between 1965 and 1985 to personal memory. The sight of the
severn breaking its banks in Gloucstershire was a regular winter sight
as far back as I can recall. Whittlesea Wash south of Peterborough
would be under a foot of water for months on end.

Yes, the stour south of Derby is out of it's banks - but no different
from any other year. I recall in 1974 being towed through it on a
large-wheeled trailer by the AA, who were only ferrying their own
members.

The papers do like making a fuss, don't they?