Old 18-01-2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Floating water plants sent state lines

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:51:32 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Kurt wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?

Very common.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, it's a good idea. Through most of the southern US they're a serious
pest.

It is a serious pest in Florida. I don't even think it is legal to
possess a single WH without a permit, in any case, it is a real bad
idea. They don't die in the winter here, and grow amazingly fast. One
can be pretty, but if you have one here, you'll have 50 next week, and
then 500 the next week, and then 5000 the next, and I think you can
see where this is going.

So interesting that here in Southern CA, when in season (never for sale
in the Winter) they sell for $3 a clump at the local nursuries.
Nothing freezes (maybe once or twice a Winter) where I live, but WH have
already diminished to little stubs in the pond. Have other floating
plants that are quite robust (not parrot feather, but another leafy
type).
Fish are probably snacking (they still come up clammering for food at
4-5PM). Water temp has been right around 56.