Old 18-01-2008, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default How do I get my wisteria to flower?

On 18/1/08 22:40, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip

My guess about a non-flowering one is a seedling plant, sold as a
named variety.

Wisterias sometimes don't do well because sometimes they don't do well.
That's it for most plants. Just like children, some thrive, some don't;
some need benign neglect and others need a bit of coddling. The best advice
for choosing wisterias is to buy one in flower.
The one we took out from our south facing - certainly not over-dry or wet
border, made masses of leaf and growth and flowered very poorly. I
delivered the thumbs down last summer and mercifully, everyone else agreed
with me, so out it came. We reckon it had been there for about 60 years.
By contrast, we have a couple growing up through trees and we can't get to
them to prune them. They flower like mad things at the top. We have one
we're growing as a standard on the lawn and another in the car park border
and both flower very well. If a Wisteria isn't doing much good within
around 10 years, I'd chuck it. From everything I've learned about them,
both here and elsewhere, they can be very variable, pruning or not.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk