Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
John Savage

Default any reccomendations for trees or shrubs in QLD

"Paul" writes:
anyone have any reccomendations for trees or shrubs in QLD, i am on tank
water so they MUST be very drought resistant, prefer something that might

I don't have any specific recommendations. But I have noticed that
she-oaks seem to survive on little rainfall in very poor soil, even
though they are typically seen growing in damp places. I rescued a
couple from some roadworks, and now that they are well established
they are surviving the drought in dry, sandy soil. When it came to
transplanting them I found that most of the ones I dug up had a long
tap root, and I discarded them because the root went down too deep for
me to extricate the plant without severing most of the tap root.

I love the whistling sound that even the lightest breeze creates through
the needles of the she-oak. On a hot summer's day it creates the illusion
of a cooling alpine breeze when in reality it's just a heating draught!

block some of the dust from the gravel road i have at my place, anything
that may add colour to a bushland setting.

When they start to bear seeds, the she oaks will attract cockatoos. You
may view this as adding colour to your bush hideaway. :-)
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")