Old 19-01-2008, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] paulineberyl1@aol.com is offline

Default Fat down the drains

On 19 Jan, 12:05, Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 11:24, in article
,

" wrote:
On Dec 14 2007, 1:19?am, Janet Tweedy
wrote:
In article
,
Dave Hill writes

Blackbirds and thrushes are groundfeedingbirds, and not happy on a
bird table, especially if it swings.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Well in our garden they seem to be happy! Though the thrushes do tend to
hop round the garden more. I was just wary of encouraging rats

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Should we feed birds all year round? �We always put food out no matter
what the season, but are we doing more harm than good?

I believe the RSPB recommend that you do. �It encourages them to return to
your garden to look for food and it helps you because they also eat the
pests and nasties you don't want.
Apropos David's remark about blackbirds above, we have one blackbird here
who seems not to have read the books. �I have a seed feeder and fat ball
outside the window of my upstairs study. �There is no ledge for the birds to
perch on. �At least 6 times I've had a blackbird perched very precariously
on top of the domed lid of the seed feeder, pecking at the fat ball. �I
don't know why he doesn't go for one of those hung in trees and bushes where
he'd have a much better grip but I enjoy watching him, so I'm glad he
visits.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

We have a blackbird that hovers like a humming bird to peck at a fat
ball. I think they just adapt over time inorder to survive. What
marvellous entertaining creatures birds are, we never cease to be
surprised by all their individual personalities