Old 19-01-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Lawn alternatives - solutions for mud pit

MSR wrote in
:

I was wondering if someone could offer any advice on the
best solution for the problem described below.
My problem is particularly acute as there is a small stream
or brook running along the bottom of the garden.
Two years ago a I tried to fix the problem permanently by
digging drainage ditches filled with gravel running to a
pipe which empties back into the brook. I then covered the
entire lawn area with three tonnes of sand and sprinkled
grass seed over it. A combination of continuous rain since
then (the brief heat wave killed some of it off) and my
three dogs, means that only patches of rather pathetic
grass have returned and while the garden doesn't flood
anymore (success!) it remains a muddy pit for most of the
time.

well, grass can't grow on sand...

I'm now considering alternatives. I don't care about
having a lawn. It's more hassle than it's worth and I don't
do that kind of gardening anyway. I'm more interested in
growing tomatoes and I grow those in pots on the patio,
which is nearly 2 metres above the level of the lawn. I'm
happy to grow bushes, shrubs, small trees etc. on and
around the lawn area instead.

sounds sensible to work with what you have rather than against
it.

My current idea is to fill up with another few tonnes of
sand and lay some kind of bark mulch over the top in a
thick layer. This way the top surface will hopefully
remain dry and the dogs can run about without coming back
inside with feet caked in wet mud!

i don't think that will work. you'll end up with muddy bark
mulch, which will be even more of a annoyance when the dogs
drag it in.
if it were my yard, i would plant willows & keep them pruned
as shrubs (maybe take up basket making with the pruningsg).
willows suck up a *lot* of water & may help dry things out.
you can plant a few different decorative types including pussy
willows & the Japanese types with colored or varigated leaves.
lee