Old 19-01-2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default I'm SO excited

I'll tell you what, John. It sounds like this puppy is getting similar
treatment - from a light perspective, anyway.

As I said, it's hung up near the vandas, and I grow with no shade cloth.
The GH is, however, located near a 40 meter tall tulip poplar that filters
the midday sun in the summer. Right now it's in full sun, if you want to
call it that this far north.

It may see temperatures as high as 40°C - usually not, although close to
that once you include solar heating if the plant tissues - but never below
about 10°-15° (although we did have a power outage about 3 weeks ago, and
the GH dropped to about 5° before I got the backup heater on).

I feed everything at every watering (125 ppm N using a 13-3-15-8Ca-2Mg
fertilizer), and didn't know if they got any kind of rest in nature (I doubt
those in your northeast do).

Over the last few years, it typically saw three or four growths start in the
summer, but it has a single new on right now, as well. It's amazing how
fast they grow.