Old 19-01-2008, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cupra cupra is offline

Default Birds

Sacha wrote:
On 19/1/08 14:15, in article , "Wally"
wrote:

wrote in message
Should we feed the birds all year round? We do but are we doing
more harm than good?

I don't, I just feed in winter when food is thin on the ground.
In the rest of the year let them eat the bugs that destroy our crops.

But that's the reason to go on putting out feed, though perhaps in
smaller quantities. They know there will still be food in your
garden but they'll eat the bugs too.

I find that the number of visitors falls, anyhow, when food is common
elsewhere - mind you, the grape vine is 'elsewhere' for the Starlings!