Old 19-01-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Chllie Pepper Recommendation

In article ,
Jeff Taylor writes:

| Do any of you guys grow chilie peppers?
|
| I'm going to have a go with some in my conservatory this year.
| I'd like to try a hottish one and a milder one and use them for cooking
| and making chilie sauce.
|
| Does anyone have a favourite or recommend something for a beginner?
| I would prefer a heavy cropper with large fruit (I guess :-) )

Why? The crop depends more on the year than the variety; last year
was a disaster for any crop that needed heat and sun. Generally,
lots of smaller (hot) chillis are more useful than a few large ones.

I like Thai ones (often called Thai dragon) for a hot one. I don't
like the taste of habanero, and don't find it half as hot as the
Merkins claim. In my experience, the bird's eye chillis can be
quite a lot hotter. But they don't taste as nice as the Thai ones.

Jalapeno has an interesting flavour, and is good on pizzas etc., but
I regard it as mild. However, I am a true colonial, born in the last
days of the British Empire, and was brought up with such things. You
may not find Jalapeno mild.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.