Old 19-01-2008, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Taylor Jeff Taylor is offline

Default Chllie Pepper Recommendation

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Taylor writes:

| Does anyone have a favourite or recommend something for a beginner?
| I would prefer a heavy cropper with large fruit (I guess :-) )

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Why? The crop depends more on the year than the variety; last year
was a disaster for any crop that needed heat and sun. Generally,
lots of smaller (hot) chillis are more useful than a few large ones.

A couple of varieties that I saw advertised were described as 'heavy
croppers as opposed to the 6 - 10 fruit that you get from some varieties'
I assumed from that that there were heavy and light croppers.

I like Thai ones (often called Thai dragon) for a hot one. I don't
like the taste of habanero, and don't find it half as hot as the
Merkins claim. In my experience, the bird's eye chillis can be
quite a lot hotter. But they don't taste as nice as the Thai ones.

Jalapeno has an interesting flavour, and is good on pizzas etc., but
I regard it as mild. However, I am a true colonial, born in the last
days of the British Empire, and was brought up with such things. You
may not find Jalapeno mild.

Thai dragon looking good for the hot one :-)

Thanks again,

Jeff
(NE England)