Old 20-01-2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
TiredGardener TiredGardener is offline

Default Killing off Wild Garlic

On Jan 14, 12:07 pm, Sheldon wrote:
I suggest you have your soil tested and amend it, it's
probably more condusive to growing garlic than lawn grass... if you
see any mosses growing in your lawn and/or anywhere nearby that is a
good indication that your soil is more amenable to garlic than lawn
grasses. Also over fertilizing can encourage all sorts of weed growth
by weakening the lawn grasses (many people think if a little
fertilizer is good then a lot is super, not). And sticking to a
regimen of keeping your lawn properly watered, mowed, and aerated will
do much to erradicate all weeds. Very first thing is to have your
soil tested, especially from areas where the garlic is most
pronounced. I bet you find out that your soil is too acid... it will
need a good application of lime, and a deep plug aeration can't hurt.

Thanks, I think this was the most useful response. I'll swing by the
garden center now that I'm feeling better and pick up a soil test
kit. I'll also read about applying lime. I bet I'm a little early in
the year for that, even in mild Oregon.

I'm more worried about it in the future. We have lived here a couple
years now and are starting to work more heavily on the yard. It is
awful. When we moved in there were weeds higher than the roses.
Grasses, vetch, cosmos, and the garlic (bulbets in full bloom) sitting
there choking out these wonderful roses. We have gotten most of it
under control, but are still fighting the garlic (corn gluten, the
weed barrier and digging). There were even bulbs planted among the
rosed (tulips, daffs, iris, lilies, and more). They were moved (next
is digging up the ones left in the yard).

I want to get the garlic under control this year, so that I can lay
down some grass in the yard. If amending the soil will help, I'll do
that. It sounds like maybe if I do what is right for grass it will
not completely rid me of my pest, but will keep it under better
control.

And as I said, Roundup will not be used until all friendly options
fail. (I have faith that if I stick to Earth friendly methods, I will
not need poison, and my garden will be better for it and healthier)

Jason