Old 20-01-2008, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_105_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_105_] is offline

Default Sowing broad beans

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message
So frustrated by the deluge, I've been reduced to sowing my third set of
Broad Beans ("Aquadulce Claudia") in pots inside today. But I have a
nagging doubt. Most seeds are tiny little things and they have to make
the best of however they land, but broad beans have a great big "This
Way Up" sign in the shape of their 'scar'.

But which way up is it? Scar up for the leaves to grow? Down for the
roots? Sideways, thin side up, down? Horizontally? Do the roots and
shoots even grow from the scar? Does it even matter?

It's a bit late now of course, but I'd still like to know...

Second question - the packet says to sow November to January, which is
exactly what I've done so far, and my first sowings have come up and are
looking very happy. So what will happen if I continue to sow
successionally through the spring? I was given a 1/2kg bag from a
farmer friend, for which I am very grateful, but it means I've got
masses left even after giving lots away...

Peter

Push them in the ground and they will come up, there is no right way up...
imagine if the fell, they would still come up. My second lot are just
popping through on the allotment. I use different varieties as I go along
but whatever you put in will germinate. The Aquadulce are supposed to be
extra tough though and are usually the ones put in early. If you sow too
late they are more likely to get blackfly but these can usually be squashed
as you walk along the row.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth