Old 20-01-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Sowing broad beans

Peter Robinson writes
So frustrated by the deluge, I've been reduced to sowing my third set of
Broad Beans ("Aquadulce Claudia") in pots inside today. But I have a
nagging doubt. Most seeds are tiny little things and they have to make
the best of however they land, but broad beans have a great big "This
Way Up" sign in the shape of their 'scar'.

But which way up is it? Scar up for the leaves to grow? Down for the
roots? Sideways, thin side up, down? Horizontally? Do the roots and
shoots even grow from the scar? Does it even matter?

No :-)

Second question - the packet says to sow November to January, which is
exactly what I've done so far, and my first sowings have come up and are
looking very happy. So what will happen if I continue to sow
successionally through the spring? I was given a 1/2kg bag from a
farmer friend, for which I am very grateful, but it means I've got
masses left even after giving lots away...

They'll just be later all the way through. If you have masses, there's
nothing to lose by continuing to sow, and you'll be less tempted to
leave them on the plant too long to increase size - they're much nicer
if they're not left too long.
--
Kay