Old 20-01-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Chllie Pepper Recommendation

Jeff Taylor wrote:

Peter Robinson wrote:

This year, I've sowed some "Thai Dragon" just today (don't take that as
advice though - I'm sure it's far too earyly if I had any sense!)

LOL - Well they do like a long season ;-)
I'm going to try and hold on til next month to sow mine.

Very sensible!

Yes, I've read about people over-wintering them.
Might try it - conservatory get cold in the Winter but never freezing.
Nothing to lose.

My thoughts exactly. Was half expecting them to wither away and die.
Jalapeņo isn't looking too great, but it's still growing. The others
are romping away, and they're not getting too spindly with the lack of
light either, though I did give the 2 Cherry Bombs a bit of a haircut
today to keep them bushy.

Garden Salsa

Nicky's Nursery says "The best pepper for salsa and sauces." - can't be
bad!

Biggest problem inside for me was spider mite (I think) and fruit not
setting. Biggest problem outside was slugs & snails, though they seemed
to be equally happy to eat the garden twine used to tie them up as to
eat the plants! Neither was much of a problem.

Mine will all be inside.

If you have trouble with the fruit setting (not enough bees finding
their way into your conservatory) you might try hand pollinating. Not
too much nitrogen, and not too much water either.

And you too!
Thanks again for sharing all this.
Can't wait now...

I'm so impatient for the sun to come out!

Peter