Old 20-01-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Sowing broad beans

"Robert \(Plymouth\)" remove my
other hobby to reply wrote:

"Peter Robinson" wrote in message

[...] But which way up is it? Scar up for the leaves to grow?

Push them in the ground and they will come up, there is no right way up...
imagine if the fell, they would still come up.

Some of the time - I don't want great big holes in my nice neat rows :-)
I think I'd read somewhere that if you sow them on their side they're
more likely to rot because water might pool on top. But that does sound
a bit far fetched.

If you sow too late they are more likely to get blackfly but these can
usually be squashed as you walk along the row.

If that's all it is, that doesn't sound too bad. I know one of the
reasons for sowing in autumn is to get ahead of the pests. Last year my
fingers and the ladybirds just about managed to keep the blackfly on my
runner beans under control. (Didn't grow broad beans though, so we will
have more work this year...)

Thanks for the advice from one and all.

Peter