Old 20-01-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Sowing broad beans

K wrote:

But which way up is it? Scar up for the leaves to grow? Down for the
roots? Sideways, thin side up, down? Horizontally? Do the roots and
shoots even grow from the scar? Does it even matter?

No :-)

Thanks Kay, that's good news :-)

Second question - the packet says to sow November to January, [...] So
what will happen if I continue to sow successionally through the spring?

They'll just be later all the way through.

That's what I was hoping - I'm trying to avoid the inevitable glut. I
thought it strange the packet didn't say something like Nov - Apr, but I
suppose that's because it's a variety you normally buy specifically for
early sowing.

If you have masses, there's nothing to lose by continuing to sow, and
you'll be less tempted to leave them on the plant too long to increase
size - they're much nicer if they're not left too long.

Yes - I've read you can even eat them pod and all like french/runner
beans if you pick them really young.

Peter