Old 20-01-2008, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Sowing broad beans

On 20 Jan, 19:07, (Peter Robinson) wrote:
Yes - I've read you can even eat them pod and all like french/runner
beans if you pick them really young.

I can't sow them here now, far too wet, autumn is the same and they
get damaged by wind, rain, gales whatever the elements throw at us. In
pots I find they start too quick, too lanky and they look fragile once
back in the ground. I suppose it's something again to do with the rain
we have all-the-time and every year. I use a dwarf variety Aquadulcy
and Wilkiem. Very strong little plant whatever the weather with sweet
beans.

We eat ours raw though - always. French bread, butter, salt, dunk the
bean in the salt and crunch )