Old 20-01-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Marco Schwarz Marco Schwarz is offline

Default Chllie Pepper Recommendation

Hi..

Jeff Taylor wrote:

Do any of you guys grow chilie peppers?

Me..!

I'm going to have a go with some in my conservatory this year.

Well I'm just overwintering some pots in a conservatory in northern
direction..

Looking at various web sites shows that there is a huge variety to
choose from.

Indeed. Personally I'm a fan of sorts cultivated in Europe..! :-)

Does anyone have a favourite or recommend something for a beginner?

In the year 2008 I'll grow/keep the following sorts (x _or_ x to y _of_ 10):

# Cayenne Pepper, Cajun-type Chilli, European Grandpa, (7 to 8)
# Piment de Bresse, France, (2 to 3)
# Mirasol, Spain, (3 to 4)
# Leutschauer Schotenpfeffer, Bavaria|Bohemia|Silesia (4 to 6)
# Bulgarian Carrot, (6 to 7)
# Serbian 3, (6)
# Pequin from Ischia, an Italian bird pepper, (8)..
# and possibly some heirlooms from the Kosovo..

I would prefer a heavy cropper with large fruit (I guess :-) )

Well there is a hottish one sort called "Barkers Hot" (9), an Anaheim-type
Chilli with large fruits that are _really_ hot.. :-)

--
cu
Marco