Old 21-01-2008, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Problems Starting Bonfire

In article ,
"Pat" wrote:

"Hoorgi" wrote in message

I know it is not that environmentally friendly etc, but I am having real
problems starting a bonfire. Even with white spirit it did not work.
Has anyone any tips?

I save my used motor oil from my vehicles when I do oil changes. I add
equal amounts of diesel and pour it on my fires to get them started.

What a great game the two Cinderella teams, the Packers and the Giants,
put on. Neither were expected to do much this year, yet there they were
playing for the NFL Championship. Yeah, it's just a game and its' only
value is what we invest in it but, still, redemption is sweet.

Coming back to Earth, my father used to nearly fill a 5 gallon metal can
with used motor oil and place rolled-up newspapers in it to absorb the
oil. Then he would let them dry and use them for fire starters. He was
never the most ecological of men.

The city of Toronto, however, apparently takes a dim view of burning
used motor oil.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...dfile-2759.pdf

Burning used oil for space-heating purposes is an unnecessary
contribution to air pollution in Toronto, since cleaner-burning fuels
are readily available. According to the Ministry of Environment, a space
heater burning used motor oil would emit 8,000 times more lead, 196
times more sulphur oxides, 128 times more arsenic and 35 times more
inhalable particulate matter (PM10), than a space heater burning home
heating oil.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars