Old 21-01-2008, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spring creeping in?

In article ,
says...
About four days ago we were remarking that the snowdrops seem rather late
this year, apart from a sparse clump or two here and there. Now we see them
springing up on the lawn and in all sorts of other odd places, too. I've
even seen a primrose in flower but in the garden, not in the real 'wild'.
It's not a cultivated one but still, I'm not counting it as a spring
arrival. Some of the daffs I planted on the drive are now flowering.
They're young and patchy but will clump up over the years and several things
are pushing new leaf growth through.
The thing we've noticed most particularly in the last three days is the
lengthening of the light. In the winter, I'm accustomed to drawing the
curtains and lighting the table lamps quite early and when I went to do that
this afternoon I realised I was about to shut out daylight - something I
really hate to do. Dreary rain and grey days we may be having but it's not
cold down here and spring is giving winter fair warning.

Apart from the usual suspects doing their thing I noticed a welsh poppy
in flower and a Lily regale 6" high with flower buds! but no daffs yet,
they are allways late here. Iris unguicularis looking especially good
with its large blue flowers but we wish we could move it, we have tried
but it allways fails in the new spot and has to be rescued and returned
to the base of the conservatory wall
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk