Old 21-01-2008, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default evergreen hedging suggestions please

On 21 Jan, 13:46, wrote:
We live in a flat with a communal garden area.
We would like to plant something that will screen a 40m x 5ft
glavanised steel fence and give us more privacy.

(snip)
Our local garden centre recommended bare rooted Laurel planted at 1m
intervals. He said that once it reaches 2m, it should be cut to that
height and will not tend to go above this. How much would it be likely
to bush outwards?

Laurels/aucubas will bush outwards and fill out very quickly indeed.
They are really boring though - dusty and very 'municipal' looking.
Mixing different types of hedge plants would be interesting to look
at, increasing varieties would increase wild life and in turn will be
so much more interesting to look at in winter. I would do a fantastic
mix - but I think that's not what you want ...

Beech hedges are beautiful (not suitable for wet soil, shade or chalky
soil) and keep their 'dead' copper leaves on in winter, though shed
them to be replaced by young vivid green ones in spring. With any
choices of hedges you will have some form of maintenance to do at some
point or another. Plants are alive - grow is what they do. 40m is a
long fence to cover with clematis alone. If your budget allows and
have patience, and style, beech would be brilliant.