Old 21-01-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Care tips for your orchid

Jangchub wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:05:10 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:16:57 -0500, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Orchids are pushing out stinkweeds? What is an epiphyte? Are
you
kidding me?

Sorry, mcorrhizae is autonomous of the tree. It exists without
trees. Trees are not the only plant which depends on mychorrizae.
I can buy mychorrizae innoculant online.

You cannot innoculate with an organ.

It is not attached to any tree I know
of. Fungal mats exist without the presence of trees. C'mon, you
have got to be kidding me. You actually think mychorrizae is made
up of tree root AND fungus? It's not.

Maybe you better define what mycorrhizae is in your words. It is a
Greek word meaning -
mycor - fungus rhiza - root. It is an composite structure made up
of plant roots (most trees) and fungi. Is it fungi or root? YES!
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...corrhizae.html

While it is symbiotic, it is NOT NOT NOT a tree root. Not today,
not
tomorrow, not yesterday NOT. Fungi are in a class of their own, not
plant, not animal. Mycorrhizae does not, repeat, does not depend on
tree to exist. It is not part of the tree. It is not part of the
root. There are many types of this fungi, I am familiar with and
have
used and will use VAM Mycorrhizae. Not all plants need this or
benefit by this type of fungi. Certainly conifers and many trees,
roses, blueberries and a list of other plants which notoriously have
weak root systems.

The fungi themselves, growing alone, are not called "mycorrhizae".
VAM mycorrhizae are produced by any of about 200 fungi belonging to
the genus Glomeromycota when they grown on or in or in sufficiently
close proximity to tree roots. A phylogenetic tree for that genus can
be found at http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~schuessler/amphylo/. Note
that none of the species is called "mycorrhizae".

If there's no fungus then there are no mycorrhizae. If there is no
tree there are no mycorrhize. It's when you have _both_ that
mycorrizae occur.

And do yourself and everyone else a favor; when directing people to
the scientific evidence, try to refrain from using your own website
base your debate on. It's a bit nonsensicle.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)