Old 21-01-2008, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Birds

On 21/1/08 11:16, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 21/1/08 09:14, in article ,
"Chris J Dixon" wrote:

JennyC wrote:

I personally only feed in winter, but the RSPB says all year is OK :
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpin...whentofeed.asp

My Christmas present bird feeder has been deployed for nearly a
month, filled with a seed mix, but so far it doesn't seem to have
been visited. Perhaps my neighbours have already cornered the
market :-(

Just leave it and they'll find it. Sometimes they take a while to become
accustomed to a new feeding station and are, perhaps, a bit nervous of it.
And they regulate their own diets, too, as far as I can see. For a week
they'll go mad over seeds and then it's peanuts and then it's on to the
balls of fat with seeds in it!

Sorry to reply to myself but I've just seen a pair of pied wagtails on the
seed feeder outside my study window. Those are definitely first time
visitors and they were going for the fat ball attached to the top of it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk