Old 21-01-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat Gardiner Pat Gardiner is offline

Default Ideas please - north facing wall

"Pat Gardiner" wrote in message
After nearly ten years, I'm planting the last wall in the walled garden.

You can see the garden on
http://www.go-self-sufficient.com/photowalledg.htm

You can see the north wall at the far right, the inner side has the
peaches apricots, and sweet cherries.

The outer north facing surface has been cleared of vegetation and I have
planted three damsons (that I know do well on a north wall) and I have two
more spaces.

My problem is that makes five different damsons and two pairs Morellos and
Nabelas already.

It there another sharp cherry that would do OK on this wall? Is there any
other fruit that might thrive? I'm stumpted.

Thanks
Pat Gardiner

I thought you would like to know that after much discussion a Japanese
Quince has won.

Now we have to decide which one and get the correct scientific name of the
one we had twenty years ago.

Remembering that I'm a bit unreliable over colours, Mrs Pat has reliably
informed me it was pink.

She has less helpfully told me it was a Japonica.

You would expect better from the daughter, granddaughter and niece of
gardeners and horticulturalists. Her uncle was the whacky one that appeared
on TV dressed as a Mandarin in his Gloucestershire Japanese garden dedicated
to his late wife on the arm of her replacement. Not strong on tact!

I can add that I think the bush, really a hedge, had quite sharp thorns (is
that a false memory) and made especially excellent jelly with a true quince
flavour.

Can anyone pin it down to an actual variety? and if you know one a supplier?

I'm not really good on flowers, if you can't eat it I tend to lose interest,
but I have no objection to having my food look pretty.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner