Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Tom Elliott

Default drink bottle reservoirs

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:23:28 GMT, "Pixo" wrote:

Hi,

With the current weather conditions (in Melb) I've started saving empty
softdrink bottles to make those reservoirs / waterers for the trees in my
yard as their leaves have started to curl in the heat.

As I understand it all I need to do it cut the bottom off and drill a couple
of holes in the lid, then bury it neck down. How far down do you need to
bury it? So far I've made two. The first I filled and it emptied in a few
hours and since I refilled it has gone down about a centimetre in the past
two days. Is this the rate water is meant to empty from it? Is it blocked?
Can it get blocked?

Pixo

I've been using a 2 litre bottle with a few pinholes in the bottom. I
fill it up and park it next to the plant I want watered, and it slowly
drains. This seems to be pretty good for deep watering of small to
medium plants (like my dwarf lemon tree). It's been so dry that
watering with a hose just causes the water to bounce off the surface
and run away.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.