Old 21-01-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default evergreen hedging suggestions please

wrote:
On 21 Jan, 13:46, wrote:
We live in a flat with a communal garden area.
We would like to plant something that will screen a 40m x 5ft
glavanised steel fence and give us more privacy.

(snip)
Our local garden centre recommended bare rooted Laurel planted at 1m
intervals. He said that once it reaches 2m, it should be cut to that
height and will not tend to go above this. How much would it be
likely to bush outwards?

Laurels/aucubas will bush outwards and fill out very quickly indeed.
They are really boring though - dusty and very 'municipal' looking.

A. japonica "Rozannie" has very glossy green leaves, will grow in any
aspect, is fairly quick but not too vigorous, seems not to suffer from any
disease or pest, and has the advantage of large red berries in winter.

But a lot of plants would be needed for a 40m fence (at least 80). The OP
didn't say what his budget was.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)