Old 21-01-2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pat Gardiner Pat Gardiner is offline

Default Ideas please - north facing wall

wrote in message
On 21 Jan, 15:56, "Pat Gardiner" wrote:
Can anyone pin it down to an actual variety? and if you know one a
supplier?

The Vranja Quince, (Cydonia oblonga as opposed to the pyrus cydonia)
is the most popular in the UK. Huge scented fruits (the Ludovic one is
similar to Vranja too in taste, scent and size). Have a look at this
link for lots of cultivars at the bottom of the article along with
suppliers (ignore the ones in the States, naturally ...).

http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/ansample.html

No, I know this kind of quince well. They are big like an apple tree, but
the flavour is very similar. There are several varieties, I have a couple
of Meeches Prolific - and they are prolific.

Recommended for East Anglia, clay soil with drainage. Split fruit during
droughts

I have now identified, the ones we had years ago, pretty certainly as
Chaenomeles japonica. It was as bushes under a south facing window. It was
pruned very sharply and only one year produced fruit. We shall have to see
how it does under a high north facing wall.

That fruit made a very good jelly of a very similar flavour to Meeches or
Serbian Quinces.

That is what baffled me. It is unusual for the fruits of totally different
species taste so similar.

Does anyone know why?

--
Regards