Old 21-01-2008, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Problems Starting Bonfire

Ann said:

Grassman expounded:

You need plenty of news paper foloowed by dry, thin kindling wood,
followed by larger pieces of wood. This is to get some heat into the
base of your fire befor you (snip)

This is how I've always lit the spring cleanup fire - then add the
dried up Christmas tree. Never had need for gas or oil (which is bad
for the environment) once that tree went up!

If you've got a paper shredder you can make some nice, lightweight,
fire-starters. I say "lightweight" because I do a lot of hiking, and
carrying one or two "nests" of starters in my pack. Weight is of the utmost
importance. =)

Melt some paraffin. Add the shredded paper. Using tongs, pull clumps of the
paraffin-soaked paper out, placing mounds (2-3" in diameter) on a wire rack
to cool. Once cool, just store them in a ziplock bag until ready to use.
They start slowly (no flare-up, nice and safe), but burn long enough to get
wood started. I've started large bonfires, camping, with only one "nest".

It's also a good way to get rid of old documents. =D
--

Eggs

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.