Old 22-01-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul O. Paul O. is offline

Default Safe bug spray

"TiredGardener" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 2:21 pm, "Paul O." wrote:
You folks have any favorite, effective recepies? I wanted to spray some
of
my flowers for the ants and the little thingies that thet seem to herd
and
take care of, but didn't want to use anything that will harm the bees and
humming birds. I've heard of soap and water but don't really know how
effective that would be.

Soap and water is my favorite. The little thingies are probably
aphids. You don't want them. The ants on the other hand are good in
the garden (not in the kitchen). The ants create little tunnel and
such. They also herd the aphids onto certain plants, making them
easier to kill. Very nice critters they are.

Anyway, here is the recipe I use:

2 tsp dish soap (use a good phosphate free one)
1 liter of water.

Mix well and spray directly on bugs. Some people add garlic extract
or lemon or orange to the mixture. The soap will suffocate them. The
rest sticks around for a while and scares off others from returning.

Jason

--
Join the team. Start living a sustainable life. Start making a
difference now!

Thanks, I'm sure they are aphids, only one plant infested and it's starting
to look bad.
--
Paul O.