Old 21-01-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Lessons You've Learned as a Ponder

~ jan wrote:
Things I wish I hadn't done as a newbie, purchased koi too soon. Put feeder
goldfish in....

That's what I planned for my 1st fish. Why were feeder GF a mistake?
Chip

They tend to carry more diseases (do to lack of care) and thus can infect a
pond. They breed like rabbits and are difficult to catch once you realize
you don't want them.

It was particularly heart breaking to put in a 9" female koi, too young to
be full of eggs and have 8 male goldfish end up razing her to death.

I guess that's another piece of sage advice. Do not put a new koi in, watch
it for a few minutes and then leave for several hours. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us