Old 22-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Richard at GS Richard at GS is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Taylor View Post
Hi All,

Do any of you guys grow chilie peppers?

I'm going to have a go with some in my conservatory this year.
I'd like to try a hottish one and a milder one and use them for cooking
and making chilie sauce.

Looking at various web sites shows that there is a huge variety to
choose from.
Does anyone have a favourite or recommend something for a beginner?
I would prefer a heavy cropper with large fruit (I guess :-) )

Thanks,

Jeff
(NE England)
Hi Jeff
'Ring of Fire' is an easy to grow plant with good yield and as the name suggests, plenty of heat. One of the other 'Cayenne' varieties would be milder - I like 'Joe's Long' as the fruit can reach 25cm easily. Both these varieties dry well for storage or grinding into powder or will freeze for more like the fresh fruit. Simpson's seeds list over 70 varieties including both of these so I know what you mean about choice. If you need any more specific advice about chillies try checking out www.chillisgalore.co.uk