Old 22-01-2008, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default raspberry stalks - how to bush?

"Eddy" wrote in message
Hi,

This new house we're in has some raspberries that last summer were
seeming to grow rather well on the edge of our septic tank soakaway
area. The fruit were big and delicious. However, each plant consisted
of just one stalk, about 1.5m high, and, of course, dangling about and
falling all over the place, particularly in the winds.

Is there a way to force raspherries to bush and, if so, when and how
should I do this?

Thanks.

Eddy.

It's how they grow, on one cane each. They need to be tied, we have a stake
at each end of the line with several wires between them. The new canes are
tied to the wires when the old ones are cut down in autumn.

Don't let them get too tall either, ours are not more than 4'6" but other
growers might have other sizes. in our case it's because we're small and
couldn't reach much higher :-)

Mary